I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

World War Z by Max Brooks




Genre: Fiction / Survival / Post-apocalyptic

Basically a book with various stories from the perspectives of many people in a war of zombies called World War Z.

Back Cover:
We survived the zombie apocalypse, but how many of us are still haunted by that terrible time?  We have (temporarily?) defeated the living dead, but at what cost?  Told in the haunting and riveting voices of the men and women who witnessed the horror firsthand, World War Z is the only record of the plague years.

What I thought:
I was actually kind of disappointed in this book.  I have previously read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks and found it amazing, so I thought this one would be too.  In fact, World War Z has been quite a popular read.  I guess that just goes to show that popular isn’t always the best. 

Okay, now you probably think that I really hate this book.  Absolutely not.  I prefer stories driven by characters, where this one is characters driving a story about war.  War books were never really my forte.  I do enjoy some, but the majority of them just aren’t that amazing.  I’m all for the zombie phenomena, but this one left it hard to connect, and hard to relate to.  I couldn’t feel the characters fears, or their emotions.  The stories felt stale to me.  Some of the stories were interesting, but the majority of them felt rather mediocre at best.  This of course is just a matter of opinion. 

Could have been worse, could have been better.

Favorite quotes:
“Who cares who she was, or is?  She was there when I needed her, and for the rest of my life, she’ll always be with me.”


Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment