I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Saturday, January 16, 2021

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

 

Genre: Scifi / Aliens / Romance

Whether or not you liked Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series or not, if you're into science fiction including aliens, this might be a good read for you.  This story is much better, in my opinion, than her twilight series.  If you enjoyed the movie adaptation but have yet to read the book, it's definitely time.  If you're anything like me, you usually assume the book is better than the actual movie.  However, I have cheated once or twice and watched a movie before I read the book.  If the movie ended up being good, I definitely dive into the book to make sure it's truly worth my while.

The Host takes you through the eyes of both a human girl and an alien species from off world.  It takes place on Earth, and if you're into aliens that are host requiring species, this is definitely the book for you.  I would definitely say the alien is our lead in this book.  I'm not sure how many of you have read the childhood books called Animorphs, or the Andalite Chronicles, but I can definitely say the aliens are definitely a different breed.  Before I get too deep into this, let me share with you the Goodreads synopsis.

---

Goodreads Synopsis:
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.


Back when I was reading the Twilight series I can't tell how many years ago at this point, a friend of mine had told me to give The Host a read. I told her I felt like the Twilight series could have been better had I been a 16 year old girl reading it, and she told me I'd probably enjoy The Host far more.  I can't tell you how right she was.

Fast forward to 6 years ago when I finally picked this book up.  I was in college and didn't have a lot of time to read, so I ended up reading the first few chapters of this book with intrigue.  I just picked it up and read the rest of it recently and I was glad that I did.  In between the beginning of my read and the end, I'd watched the movie and my interest was piqued further. 

Had I not been working at the time I'd probably have read this book far sooner, but alas, it brings a pandemic for me to find the time for the things I enjoy.  What a sad world we live in, when we can't even enjoy our hobbies, but I digress...

If you've seen the movie and you start reading this book you will see how true to the book they stayed.  I wouldn't say they were 100% accurate to the story, but I'd say they did a pretty damn good job of keeping with it.  Throughout this book I found myself feeling a tightness in the pit of my stomach, and sad for our lead, Wanderer.  She learns of the emotions of the human species and feels guilt for being what she is, a body snatcher in a sense.  It's almost as if she learns to become a human as well.  Human emotions are far more complicated than any species she's ever come across in all of her years as a parasitic alien.  It's as if she herself wants to be perfect, kind, loving, generous.  I absolutely fell in love with her character.  Wanderer made this story what it was, though through the interactions of other characters, the story becomes whole and complete.  I felt like the details could have been a little better as far as landscape descriptions, but it wasn't too bad.  Having watched the movie I was able to use that as a guide.  Perhaps the two go hand in hand in that sense.  This is definitely a character driven story more than anything else, and I'd never say that's a bad thing.  I enjoy character driven stories.


Pick up your own copy of The Host on Amazon if it so pleases you to do so.


So as you can guess, I give this story 5 out of 5 pinwheels.



Shame to those who think evil of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment