I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Daisy Miller - Henry James


Genre: Classic

This is a story about a man who meets a woman and it's love at first sight.  He watches as she falls in love with someone else.  Or does she?

Goodreads Synopsis:
The plot centers around a Europeanized American man named Winterbourne, who meets a nouveau riche American woman going by the name Daisy Miller. A short novel, James wields the sword of fiction to craft a "study" of the roles of men and women, social relationships, cultural intersection, the allure of money, foolishness and wisdom, the responsibilities of parents, and the impact of one's life upon others.


This was an interesting read. I was in the process of reading it this weekend for my American Literature II class. It didn't feel as long as 164 pages, it felt quite short actually. I kept trying to make a connection to the characters thoughts in a psychoanalytic fashion. At the same time I could see the personalities of the characters for the most part. I found myself connecting to Winterbourne for some reason...Perhaps his infatuation for Miss Daisy. I feel like this story could have been elaborated upon, however, since it was so short, I have to say I was craving more. 

Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, nice site too. Never gave this one a read though, at my show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Glad you liked the review, I hope you come back to read more. Also this book is short if you ever decide to give it a read. It's also free in the public domain so you can download it off the internet and is completely legal.

      Delete