I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

2001: A Space Odyssey




2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
Genre: Science Fiction / Space exploration

A ship called the Discovery goes out into space to explore Saturn.  Hal, the computer mind behind the Discovery turns out to be haywire and kills the majority of the crew.  Bowman, the final survivor goes on to explore Japetus and finds himself torpedoing into new solar systems.


This book moves really fast at first.  I think the excitement of the ending is the main purpose of this book and all else is just filler to get up to that point.  I felt like it could have been slowed down and more visually capable at the beginning, though it does get better later on.  It took me a while to get into this book. Then, once I did I discovered how much it’s like realities astronauts.  At that point I started to lose interest.  That of course did not stop me from reading, being the kind of reader who hates to leave any page unturned regardless of becoming bored. 

I was glad near the end that I had stuck with the novel, for the ultimate space travel occurs and rejuvenates my interest in the novel. 

The idea of Hal going haywire and killing the majority of the crew was absolutely superb.   The concepts that Clarke gives us during Bowman’s Journey of Japetus are some of the greatest adventures I’ve read.

I recommend this book to anyone who has yet to read it and enjoys science fiction.  Whether you’ve read and enjoyed H.G. Wells War of the Worlds or something newer like Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game, I believe you will enjoy this novel.  Stick with it if you do, for it may seem slow and boring, but the coming adventure makes the entire book worth while.

Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment