I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Sunday, August 7, 2011

War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells

Genre: Sci-fi/Classic/Survival

This is a book about a man who witnesses the coming of aliens, becomes separated from his wife and struggles to survive in a world where aliens are taking over.

Back Cover:
"They came from outerspace -- Mars, to be exact. With deadly heat-rays and giant fighting machines they want to conquer Earth and keep humans as their slaves. Nothing seems to stop them as they spread terror and death across the planet. It is the start of the most important war in Earth's History. And Earth will never be the same."



I was expecting this book to be far more exciting. At first I felt intrigued by the descriptions of the aliens space ship when they arrive, but during the majority of the book I felt rather bored, and it felt like not a lot happened. If I got nothing else from this book, I added a few more words to my vocabulary. If you're interested in Sci-fi classics, it's worth a read, especially if you don't mind expanding your vocabulary. Other than that, it's not much of a read in my opinion. Don't expect it to be anything like the movie, because it's far different. I preferred the movie version.
Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment