I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Thursday, July 14, 2011

In her name: Empire by Michael R. Hicks

Genre: Sci-fi/Survival/Romance

This book is about a boy named Reza who has encounters with an alien race during a war, who ends up becoming a captive of their race and learning their ways.

Synopsis From Goodreads:
In the first book of an epic futuristic fantasy trilogy, this is the story of Reza Gard, a young boy of the Human Confederation who is swept up in the century-long war with the alien Kreelan Empire. Nightmarish female warriors with blue skin, fangs, and razor sharp talons, the Kreelans have technology that is millennia beyond that of the Confederation, yet they seek out close combat with sword and claw, fighting and dying to honor their god-like Empress. Captured and enslaved, Reza must live like his enemies in a grand experiment to see if humans have souls, and if one may be the key to unlocking an ages old curse upon the Kreelan race. Enduring the brutal conditions of Kreelan life, Reza and a young warrior named Esah-Zhurah find themselves bound together by fate and a prophecy foretold millennia before they were born. Publisher's note: This book is the first section of the original novel IN HER NAME, which is now the omnibus edition containing the entire trilogy under one cover.


I thought it was pretty intense. For a few moments in the beginning I felt a little like it might be another story like Halo or Ender's game, which I wasn't displeased about by any means, but I soon discovered, it's very much different. The main character Reza has a lot of character development, and we even get to see him fall in love, not once, but twice in one book. I have to admit I found myself tearing up at a few parts. The ending however, made my heart break. I was a little disappointed in some parts though, I will admit. For instance, I almost lost interest when Reza becomes a captive of the alien race on their own planet. I guess I just didn't like some parts of the story. I did however find my interests rekindled when he starts to fall in love with one of them. Overall it was a good book because I didn't mind the short and brief battle scenes that occurred, nor did I mind the romantic side stories. I'll have to say though, that the beginning before he learns their way was my favorite.
Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment