I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Friday, February 5, 2021

Under the Never Sky Trilogy by Veronica Rossi

 

Book 1: Under the Never Sky

Book 2: Through the Ever Night

Book 3: Into the Still Blue

Author: Veronica Rossi

Amazon Synopsis:

Book 1: Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive. A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption.

-------

Book 2: It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

-------

Book 3: Their love and their leadership have been tested. Now it's time for Perry and Aria to unite the Dwellers and the Outsiders in one last desperate attempt to find the fabled Still Blue and bring balance to their world.



I decided that I should review these as a set, even though they all made me feel very different.  The beginning had a feel similar to the feel of The 100 tv series(which was very loosely based on a book as well).

To start off I'd like to talk about the things I enjoyed about this series.  It has a very dystopian feel to it, similar and yet different, to series like The Hunger Games and Divergent.  I've been pretty partial to the concept of Dystopian since I first read The Hunger Games, about a year before its movie release.  Similarly enough one of the lead characters is a girl named Aria.  I enjoy book series that contain female leads.  It's a sort of delicious strength I like to surround myself in.  More and more these days stories are arising where female characters are our leads.  I think it's a positive message that females are just as important as their male counterparts. 

Under the Never Sky had me intrigued from the very beginning.  It had been a while since I found a novel that enticed me to read again. My rediscovery of books was rekindled with this book. New, and yet similar concepts to other dystopian novels captured me. I wanted to see what would happen further along.  It didn't take me too long to finish this. It's been a little while and I can't remember, but I think I might have gotten this as a free kindle book.

Having been taking on extra hours at work and with the looming pandemic arising, it took me a while to read this, even though I wanted  to.  I spent only a few moments every night, perhaps a chapter or two at a time, reading before bed.  It was very hard to put down and go to bed.  As soon as book 1 was completed I was hooked and I found myself buying Through the Ever Night on my kindle curious to follow Peregrine and Aria into their newfound relationship.  Even the ending of this novel had me intrigued to see what was going to happen into book 3.  I desired to know what The Still Blue had in store.

Into the Still Blue started out pretty slow.  I felt as if the first two novels were far more interesting and fast paced than this.  Some of the more exciting scenes in this novel are spread out and far too few in my opinion.  With Under the Never Sky and Through the Ever Night I felt butterflies and excitement coursing through my veins, this book however, left me tired and bored. The ending didn't make me feel happy or excited.  I felt uninterested while reading this and it took me longer to read than the first two books.  I felt like I was expecting something more out of the still blue, description-wise, only to be left parched in the desert.  I expected more description and something fascinating to come out of this new discovered land, but in the end there wasn't much.  For costing about the same as the first two novels combined, I was very sour and disappointed.

There are more books in this series, but this is a trilogy in of itself.  The others are stand alone types.  Maybe one day I will pick those up and read, but for now, it's time to take a break.

As a whole, I give this series 3 out of 5 pinwheels.  Id have given it more, but book three just ruined the allure of the trilogy for me. 


Shame to those who think evil of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment