I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Book-a-thon

It's been a very busy year for me.  The fall semester has been over for about a week already and I have yet to do much.  I think I just needed a breather.  This weekend I am doing a little reading catch up for the Christmas Book-a-thon going on this weekend.

Here's what I'm reading:

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull - Fantasy
I got this as a Christmas present from someone I am very close to.  It's one of her favorite series and she wanted me to give it a read, I'm already around 70% completed with it and I've only been reading it for about 2 days off and on. Read the majority of that today.  I will definitely finish this before the weekend.





Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Dystopian
I finally got myself this entire trilogy...Well I bought my dad The Hunger Games since I won myself a copy when I went to go see the movie.  I bought myself both Catching Fire and Mockingjay in Hardcover. I just saw Catching Fire on Thanksgiving weekend with a friend and thought it wasn't too bad.  Now I remember why I wanted to read this one.  I just started it so I'm not that far into it yet...maybe about 4% done. Not sure if I will finish it before the weekend is over or not but I definitely plan to finish it before the year is through.  I've been wanting to read it, and since I now have it in hardcover (I actually got it as a gift for myself for getting straight A's for another semester), I will be trying to finish it as soon as possible.

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson - Whodunit (Mystery)
I'm really not understanding all of the hype around this book. I was expecting something magnificent but I'm struggling just to get through it.  It's not the genre that bothers me, but the way in which it is written.  The story feels dry and flat and more needs to be happening.  The most exciting part of this book is....well I don't want to spoil it for you, but lets just say around the middle portion of the book. I'm about 43% of the way through with it, but I've been reading it for a few months off and on when I've had time.



Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman - Witches
I saw the movie for this quite some time ago and had been wanting to read this book ever since.  I started this in October but found myself tapped for time so I didn't get to finish it before Halloween.  It's very different from the movie, and I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Still, it's been sitting on my shelf since about the beginning of the year when I finally found a copy. I eventually aim to complete it.  I am about 42% done with this.  As you can see I jump around a lot and get halfway through books and then haven't really had the time to finish them. Let this be the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment