I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Sin Collector by Jessica Fortunato

Genre: Paranormal / Urban Fantasy / Supernatural

Liliana is a Sin-Eater meaning she collects people sins, but she hasn't done so in a long time.  She's over 100 years old, but Sin-Eaters can live forever. A man from her childhood comes back into her life and leads her into an unknown future. An older man from her past, who is much like a father figure to her, shows up at her hotel door to warn her that shes in grave danger. What kind of danger is she suppose to be afraid of when she's virtually invincible? She develops a very interesting, and possibly useful ability, but will she be safe?

Goodreads Synopsis:
"The Sin Collector" follows the life of Liliana, a born Sin Collector. She has spent over 100 years absorbing people's sins so they may rest in peace come death. However when she meets another Collector, one who insists everything she has been taught is a lie, Liliana must make her way from Sunny L.A. all the way to the streets of Madrid. Searching for answers to a question we all share. Why are we here? The friends and enemies she makes along the way only seem to blur the line between right and wrong. Can Liliana fight the Castus, an organization bent on killing off every Sin-Eater? Should she trust her head or her heart when the two most important men in her life are fighting alongside her? Then there is the worst question of all, who will be left when the dust settles.


I was lucky enough to get a copy of this book from Jessica herself, so that I may review it for her. (Thanks again Jess!)

There were some parts of this book that conflicted right at the beginning. It says Sin Eaters are never aging, but somehow they start out as children and must age to age 20. I guess when they get to age 20 they don't age anymore? Something weird like that.

The book felt very rushed at the beginning, and yet, the story started out so flat that it was incredibly SLOW. It does get better about halfway through the book though when things really pick up and get interesting. About that point things really start to flow better, but it's hard to get started and you must be really patient. Not much of a hook in the beginning, but if you're patient enough to get halfway through it really is worth it.

I felt like it could have used a little more background of Liliana's parents. I'd have liked to know more about how she came to be with Olexander as a kid.

I feel like the author could have done a little more research on certain things before taking misconceptions as truths, but this is a common mistake.

Some parts feel like they jumped around randomly, but it wasn't a common theme of the book, and didn't really hinder my pleasure later on.

At times it also felt like it was a misguided dream fantasy world. Details were left out that I would have liked to have been included to enhance my experience. This book requires a lot of imaginating at times. I like to be able to imagine things and see them as I'm reading, and at times this was difficult.

I felt like it was overly predictable at times. It didn't leave me questioning too much. I felt like I knew what was going on. It was a little of the back and forth of good guy or bad guy thing. In the end I am still unsure about how I should feel about one of the characters. Are they a bad guy or a good guy? I'll never know.

Regardless of the faults, after I got to the halfway point and things picked up, I really started to enjoy the story. I found myself captured in it, and found myself enjoying the characters(mostly).

I like some of the interesting elements the author put together. It's a story with originality, but also with some old elements I enjoy. For example, there's a little bit of kick butt action, and I can't disagree with the enjoyment of that. I didn't really find myself connecting with the main character as much as I would have liked, but there's still a possibility for that in later books I think. I can't really say too much about the things I liked without giving too much away, so lets just go ahead and say I enjoyed it and am interested in what the next book will bring!

Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment