I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi

Genre: Sci-fi/Post-apocalyptic/Dystopian

The Windup Girl is set in a Steampunk Thailand. The story starts out with a man called Anderson who owns a factory that's failing in many aspects. Later we meet Emiko, our Windup-girl, who is a genetically engineered Japanese girl, who gets mistreated, but finds a renewed reason to live. Cibiscosis and blister rust go around like a plague making everyone deathly sick and food inedible. The world we come to know in this book is one that's very dark and depressing. Everything is genetically engineered from humans, to animals, to food.


Synopsis from goodreads.com:
What happens when bio-terrorism becomes a tool for corporate profits? And what happens when said bio-terrorism forces humanity to the cusp of post-human evolution? In The Windup Girl, award-winning author Paolo Bacigalupi returns to the world of his award-winning "The Calorie Man" and "Yellow Card Man" in order to address these questions.

First let me say, this book was nothing like I expected. I didn't expect it to be so dark. That's not to say I didn't like this book, but I'm sure it's not a favorite of mine. The book takes place in a Steampunk Thailand which was different than anything I've ever known, so kudos to something unique. Sometimes the book is hard to follow, I guess because it has a lot of filler junk. I felt a bit of happiness when Emiko finds her strength. After getting into the book I guess I really had no expectations for the outcome. I did feel though, that it could have used something more...I'd have liked for the story to have a lot more about Emiko, since she's The Windup Girl as the title suggests. I felt like they should have described the diseases better, though I guess they weren't that important to the storyline. I did like that Emiko developed through the story, however, the ending kinda left me empty. Overall it was an okay book, worth a read if you're into something different and strange. This book is definitely a strange one, but with a unique story.
Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment