I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-Phillip K. Dick

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Halo: The Fall of Reach

Genre: Sci-Fi

Halo: The Fall of Reach is just that, a book about the Fall of Reach. What is Reach you ask? Read the book to find out. ;) In this book we learn that Master Chief isn't the only Spartan, and we learn how he becomes a Spartan and a hero. We get to see him as he trains and grows up in the harsh reality that is war. It allows us to view perspectives from the views of Master Chief himself, and even from some of the covenant.

Back Cover:
"Humanity has expanded beyond the Sol System. There are hundreds of planets we now call 'home.' The United Nations Space Command Now Struggles to control this vast empire. After exhausting all strategies to keep seething insurrections from exploding into interplanetary civil war, the UNSC has one last hope. At the Office of Naval Intelligence, Dr. Catherine Halsey has been hard at work on a top secret program that could bring an end to all this conflict . . . and it starts with seventy-five children, among them a six-year-old boy named John. Halsey never guessed that this little boy would become humanity's final hope against a vast alien force hell-bent on wiping us out. This is the story of John, Spartan 117 . . . the Master Chief, and of the battles that brought humanity face-to-face with its possible extinction."

I read this book a while back before I started this blog, but I just thought I should mention it as it's still pretty fresh in my memory. The story was written well, though I have to say it reminds me a little bit of Ender's Game, (some might even say it's a rip off of Ender's Game.) I can see the similarities, and at the same time, the differences. We get to learn so much more about so many new characters that we didn't get to learn about in the first couple of Halo games. I felt myself becoming quite connected with some of them. We get to learn about who Master Chief really is, and how he became to be what he is. We even get to see the perspective of the Covenant, and learn more of the story than we could through a game. I really enjoyed reading this book and I thought it was fantastic. If you've read and enjoyed Ender's Game, I suggest reading this book, even if you're NOT a fan of the Halo games. This book was a fantastic read, and I don't know if there's anything that could have made this a better read.
Shame on anyone who thinks evil of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment